Monday, April 20, 2009

Bad day, LSD

Today was LSD 11 miles. ENded up doing only 9.2 miles in 2h40min!! Worst time in the whole 2 years.
TEmps today were stated to be in the 90's, but at morning 8 when I started it was 69degrees and the sun was shining so bright as if reflected from aluminium foil onto me. At first I thought of postponing this LSD to the coming weekend when forecast is for clouds and cool weather. But I have not done much this month and I wanted to see if I could even run a bit after a 2 week period of no running.

And what a difference. Started at 8:06AM, 69 degrees and bright. I just couldnt run even after the warmup of 5 min. Just could not breathe. This carried on for atleast 2 miles where I felt I was being suffocated in the heat. Adding insult to my sorry condition was all those slim trim moms I see around my dtrs school pass me running at a good clip with not a drop of sweat in sight. I saw so many women at this time of the day and now I know the reason for those well maintained young bodies.

By this time I was thinking of seriously giving up on the half-marathon in MAy. I am not bound to do it, it was just something to keep me up to par with my workouts, which I have more or less except for this month. On the other hand, I enjoyed the experience last year and doing one event like this is sort of like a prize to all the hard work!! I have done so far. I dont anticipate any improvement in my time from last year but thats OK.

I dont know why they have to start at 8 AM when it is so sunny and honestly its uncomfortable to be running or even moving fast at that time. I had thought of e-mailing the race director last year about changing the start time . I think I will do that now because I would like to be part of this race every year since its so close to home.

Thankfully reached the downhill, which people were running up, which I went down slowly and that was the only part of the whole distance that I enjoyed. Took a break at one of the stores on the way, walked more than ran the entire distance. Plan was to come home and then run 1.2milesto GB's house, and come back walking from there to complete 11.8 miles.But ofcourse that wouldnt happen, came home , took a bath and that was it.

Very tired later on and disappointed at the slow times, but you know what, its OK. Maybe I will put in my name in the walker section since I do walk faster than run. BUt running breaks the tedium of walking fast and I dont want any other participant to give me dirty looks because I ran for a minute.

Ate lot later on- burnt 720 calories, took in 3 slices of pizza, multiples of chocolate, rice , lentils, you name it, I ate it.

No comments: